Thursday, July 06, 2006

Today my good friend arrived from Austin. She is going to be here for 2 weeks. Her arriving is a most definite reminder that I am indeed leaving San Francisco and her presence is the symbol of a graceful overlap of my two lives: The SF life and Austin life. It is definitely a relief to have her here. She represents the safe and close familiar. It calms the vulnerability of a new beginning.

I had a restful day, though. I also purchased my ticket to go home --- a one way. July 27th I will be arriving in Austin. I don't mean to make such a huge deal about all the things I do in my life. I feel like most people don't walk around and behave and think like I do: as if they have a constant camera on them --- like they are always a star on some stage where the people of the world are always following them around. Yeah right! Like my life would be that interesting to them. It is so self-indulgent, I know. But, I don't mean to be that way. I just can't help but see the drama in every little and large event. I remember when I was 5 years old and it was the night before my first day at kindergarten, I was with my family at a park as the sun was setting. We had a bar-b-que and were cleaning up - getting ready to go home. I stood on top of a huge root that was protruding out the ground from an old, very large oak tree. And I'll never forget this. I remember staring at the setting sun, looked all around me at how it turned everything orange and gold, stared back into it, took a deep breath and thought, "Tomorrow. It all begins tomorrow."

Hence, 28 years later I find myself on the rooftop of my apartment building looking out at San Francisco and telling myself the same thing.
"Tomorrow. It all begins tomorrow." Even when I meet people I have to prepare my mind to consider their spirit and shadow. I feel all levels of them at once.

You see, I just don't live in a one-path kind of reality. I exist within the split fork in the road and I travel both at once. And I'm not crazy -- it just feels like I've always got 3-d glasses on.

And I can't help to see the action and reaction. I can't help but hear the point of sound and it's delay.
All this just to reiterate my tendency toward drama -- and I don't mean the ghetto kind. I mean the kind that appreciates the flower in it's slow bloom and the moon in its slow rising. Paying attention to subtlety and smiling at its humble ways.

Right now, I am paying attention to my toes at the end of this couch. And to the time as it tick-tocks closer to a moment that brings slow and subtle gravity to my eyes -----------

So, until tomorrow; which began yesterday.

No comments: